Below is our June 15th update for Mountain Camp Woodside families. As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to the office at email@example.com or at 650-576-2267 with any questions.
Regrettably, we are writing to announce the cancellation of the remainder of our 2020 camp sessions. Recently, the state Health Department issued guidance for summer camps that made it clear we would not be able to operate this summer due to COVID 19.
We knew that this was likely when we wrote to you on May 28th and now, unfortunately, it is official. We worked extremely hard with the hope of avoiding this result and we truly appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding during this unprecedented challenge. We share your disappointment and want to thank all of you who have been calling and writing with messages of support. Although our entire community will miss camp dearly this summer, we know this is in the best interest of everyone’s health and safety.
Options Moving Forward
We have outlined the following options for your paid tuition this summer and ask that you please complete this form to let us know your decision: Mountain Camp Woodside Cancellation Form (fill out one form per family):
- Option 1 – Put Full Tuition Funds on Account – Place your full tuition on account for future use and receive an additional $200 credit per camper. This amount is fully transferable to friends or family and the funds do not expire.
- Option 2 – Receive a Partial Refund – Mountain Camp Woodside will give you an immediate refund, excluding the Day or Resident camp deposit per enrolled session, which will remain on your account with no expiration date. You have the option to put any amount of your tuition greater than the deposit on account with no expiration date, the remainder will be immediately refunded.
- Option 3 – Make a Donation to Camp – Any part of your tuition and deposit can be donated to help us sustain our program. We are grateful for your support.
- Option 4 – Late Summer Refund – Mountain Camp Woodside will be giving refunds in September less a 15% (not to exceed $300 per camper) administrative staffing fee.
We know how much you’ve been looking forward to camp and it is heartbreaking not to open. We have an incredible community that will help us come through this together, and we will use this challenge as an opportunity to grow, create and become stronger for the years to come. We know that campers will need us more than ever, and we promise that we will be ready and waiting to welcome them back to Mountain Camp Woodside when we are able to open again.
To our ENTIRE COMMUNITY – staff, campers, parents, friends and family, thank you so much for your kindness, support and understanding over the past many weeks. We have tried, fought and came up with a dozen or so program ideas on how to run this summer but none of them had a path forward that would allow us to operate safely for everyone. Leading up to our decision to cancel sessions was spent considering these factors.
- Information and data surrounding Covid-19
- Potential adaptations to our program and site
- Guidelines from the CDC, EHE, and American Camp Association
- Our ability to comply with proposed guidelines
- Our program philosophy and mission
- Approval to operate (or lack thereof) from state and local government
- Physical and emotional safety of our campers and staff
Mountain Camp Woodside is in many ways the opposite of social distancing. We build community through collaboration, shared experiences and supporting one another. For us, that looks like campers and staff, side by side, caring for each other, learning from one another, laughing, playing, hugging, creating, growing, huddled around the campfire, singing, making crafts, and connecting with each other. Although the opportunity to create our camp experience is unavailable to us at this time, as will likely be the fate of our entire summer, we are committed to lifelong learning and adapting to change. We will be setting our intention and attention on the future of our program and longing for the next time we can all be together at MCW.